Sunday, September 16, 2012

Caught between two seasons

Just a few weeks ago I was lamenting the never ending summer and was desperate to get back to the cool rhythms of fall.  Believe me, I'm glad fall is on its way, but every time I have to reach for a sweater or change out of shorts into long pants, I wonder if my longing isn't misplaced or naive.

Nevertheless, I baked pumpkin muffins this morning:

They were good, and I'll make them again. (Recipe here)
But I couldn't help feeling it was too early for them.  And as I cleaned the house and daydreamed about putting up halloween decorations, I also felt conflicted.  September is a great month, why am I wishing it away? 
In September so many good things get to happen, like your husband taking your kid to the park by bike and staying there for 3 hours.  And not yet needing to slather yourself in body lotion after a shower to combat dry skin.  I pulled my house slippers out of the closet, but really, it's still ok to walk on the tiles barefoot.  The weather is perfect, the tomatoes and basil are still abundant in the garden, and I don't have to wear nylons to work yet.  The more I think about it, September is pretty perfect.

Anyway, I would love to show you a picture of my completed Anyway You Slice it baby quilt top, but since I started using my smartphone as my primary camera, I don't have the regular point-n-shoot with the tripod within easy reach, and haven't found the right opportunity to ask C to hold the quilt so I can take a picture (last weekend I asked, but his hands were dirty from the garden.  um, not on my quilt).  Hopefully soon.  I went through several backing trials, and decided that it will look best if I throw an abandoned UFO on the back.  I may regret cutting the UFO up, but I have a feeling that it will work out.  Let's see.

I'm eating a second helping of dinner as I type this (gotta love a guilt-free pregnancy diet), and it's so good I have to share.. if you're looking for a not-too-heavy end of summer pasta, go ahead and try this one from Food & Wine: Meyers lemony broccoli and chickpea rigatoni
It's best hot off the stove top, and when you can sneak the chickpeas inside a piece of rigatoni.  Tart, a little spicy, and very satisfying.  Let me know if you like it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, these in between seasons are better than summer or winter.... not too hot or too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin muffins look delicious!! I miss your homemade sweets and pasta!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too!! Perfect in between seasons. Not to hot or cold! Wanted to ask .... did you get your traveling quilt back yet from the quilter? I'm still working on mine. Husband loves it. He can't believe something by hand can look so beautiful.

    Your muffins look delicious!!!!! Sue G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much to love about the fall but I always feel that it can take it's time getting here...although that's mainly because I know that winter comes after fall and summer feels so much farther away from winter :) Maybe it's a Chicago thing! September is really perfect in a way b/c it's between fall and winter and you can have the best of both.

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...